Little Travel Co.

The Little Travel Consultant. Helping You Create Memories. Based in Whitby, Ontario, Canada. The Little Travel Consultant is affiliated with Nexion Canada, ULC 100-235 North Centre Rd, London, On N5X 4E7 HQ Phone 519-660-6966 TICO Reg# 1549342 kate@littletravel.co ~~~ www.littletravel.co

Saturday 26 May 2018

Bangkok floating markets




Visiting one of Bangkok's floating markets is definitely a must while touring the city.    There are several to choose from, some right in the city, just off the main river and often include in a city tour.   

I went to the Bang Nam Pheung floating market in Bangkok.  It's in a loop of the Chao Phraya river nickname 'the green lung of Bangkok', a small untouched area still covered with vegetation. It's not really a 'typical' floating market as many of the stalls are actually on land and you can get out and walk around.  It's still worth a visit if it's all you have time for and there are some very interesting foods to sample.  

The one I enjoyed more was the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market about an hour’s car ride outside the city.  I arranged this with the concierge at the hotel I was staying at as it's a very popular floating market for tourists after it was featured in a James Bond chase scene.   

As we waiting for the boat to come and pick us up, just as you would at a bus stop I was fascinated by the shape and style of these boats, quite different to anything I'd seen before.  

Once on the boat we took off so fast, flying down the canals heading towards the congested market.  To be honest I think I enjoyed the speed of this boat more than the actual market.  Passing temples and houses on stilts, waving to the little children.   

The market itself is a lively tangle multiple canals selling many things from rattan balls to fresh fruit, to a restaurant selling all types of food.  An assault on the senses, the colours of the stalls and products, the smells of the various food being cooked.   Vendors passing on their boats frying pork, or selling beer and coconut water.   It's quite a fascinating place to go and I had never been anywhere like it before.  

I stopped by a lady making fresh pad Thai in her boat.  The best part was watching her cook it fresh for me, right there on a boat, while I sat in mine.  She ran out of eggs so another lady threw one over for her - what a different way of life they have.   Of course, it was the best Pad Thai I have ever tasted.   

Another truly amazing experience that I would recommend if you are in Bangkok. 




No comments:

Post a Comment